Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Intermediate Bodyweight Workout

I would never call myself a strict bodyweight enthusiast, I do encourage the use of weights depending on the circumstances, i.e you'll never deadlift 600lbs by doing chin ups. My reasons for bodyweight exercises having dominance in my training is for Hand Balancing. I do acrobatics as a hobby, doing a workout similar to something a gymnast may do just seemed to make the most sense.


This workout is the one I did for the entirety of my 6 week cut. I like to note I stayed the same weight throughout my cut despite lowering 4% body fat although it was more to my intermittent fasting, I like to think this workout was clearly intense enough to build some good ole MUSS whilst I cut down.




Workout A;

3 x Maximum front lever holds
4-5 x maximum planche holds

3 sets of one arm chin up progressions, or 3 sets of weighted chin ups if I have my belt with me.



If you don't have a belt capable of having weight strapped to it, just do one arm progressions. To one arm progress, do a chin up with one full hand, and just your stronger finger on the other hand. When you can do a set of 5 on your middle finger, move onto each finger along until you can do 5 reps with your pinky, then get on doing sets of negatives.

4-5 sets of bodyweight dips to failure

3x maximum pistols on each leg. I always start with my weak leg and just match the reps on the right leg.



Workout B;

3 sets of maximum front lever holds
4 sets of maximum planche holds

4 sets of maximum chin ups, super setted with maximum push ups, super setted with 60 bodyweight squats.


It's worth noting usually at some point throughout the days I work out I usually practice handstands for anything up to about half an hour at a time. Usually 10 sets, just going up for a good hold and back down. I don't count it as a handstand unless the hold is controlled, the weight is balanced and the handstand lasts at least 10 seconds.





These workouts should be done on non-consecutive days, not necessarily monday, wednesday, friday though, as the intensity of the holds increases and the repetition numbers within the workout, you will find longer rest periods to be of value. 


A beginner performing this workout may have a split that looks like;


Day 1 A
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 B
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 A
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 B
Day 8 Rest
Day 9 A
Day 10 Rest
Day 11 B
Day 12 Rest
Day 13 A
Day 14 Rest




Whereas someone who has progressed proficiently in their static holds may do;


Day 1 A
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4 B
Day 5
Day 6 A
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9 B
Day 10
Day 11 A
Day 12 
Day 13
Day 14 B




Typically there is less rest days from B to A, than from A to B, because B is a less intense workout and will probably require less recovery time.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment